Frequently asked questions

Who decides the amount of my property taxes?

The tax rate or millage rate is set by each individual taxing authority which includes the County Commission, City of Macclenny, School Board, Baker Co. Hospital Authority, and either the St. John's Water Management District or the Suwannee River Water Management District. They set their rates based upon their budgetary needs divided by the total taxable value of properties that lie within their district.

The Property Appraiser's Office is responsible for setting the value of your property and administering any classifications or exemptions you may qualify for. This value is then applied to the millage rate to determine your taxes.

How do I file for Homestead Exemption?

You can print the Homestead Application and mail it to our office with all required documentation, however, we recommend coming into our office so we can ensure your application gets completed in it's entirety along with all required documentation.

How do I apply for Portability?

When you apply for Homestead Exemption we will ask if you have had Homestead Exemption anywhere else in Florida in the last 2 years. If so, we will assist in filling out the DR-501t which we will send to the Property Appraiser's office of the county you are moving from requesting your prior assessment data to determine the appropriate amount of portability to apply to your new homestead.

How do I report homestead fraud?

If you think someone is receiving homestead exemption and are not entitled to it, please contact us to let us know. You can use the homestead fraud reporting form on this website or give us a call anytime during normal business hours. If you choose, you are welcome to remain anonomous. Homestead Fraud reporting form

Who do I contact if I have questions or have trouble navigating this website?

This website was developed internally and is meant to act as an extension of our office and make it easy for you to search properties in Baker County any time of day, and on any device. We want this website to be easily navigable for you so we welcome any comments about the functionality of the website as well as additional features you would like to see added. We also want this site to be accessible to users with disabilities that may use screen readers. If you should find any part of this site to not be properly accessible please contact Jacob Duncan at (904)259-3191 for assistance.

What do I do if I don't agree with my assessment or if I think there may be an error in relation to my assessment?

We welcome the opportunity to discuss your assessment with you and to ensure that our records are correct. Please call our office or use the contact form on this site. After discussing, if you still do not agree with our assessment then you may file a petition to the Value Adjustment Board. The deadline to file a petition is 25 days after the mailing of TRIM notices.